I shave my armpits.
But not my legs. Nor my cunt. I don’t wear make-up. I do wear a bra.
My point is that not one of these, or any other numerous beauty rituals that I do or do not perform, make me a feminist.
What makes me a feminist is my belief that everyone, regardless of gender (ANY GENDER), is equal to everyone else.
Nothing about what I put on or take off of my body has anything to do with that. Not a thing. Shaving my armpits doesn’t make me a bad feminist. Not shaving my legs doesn’t make me a good feminist. I shave my armpits because I like the way it feels. I don’t shave my legs because it is expensive, painful, and I find it pointless.
I do not care if you shave your legs. Or don’t. I don’t care if you love wearing make-up or hate wearing a bra.
What I do care about is WHY you are doing it or not doing it. Are you doing these things because you think you SHOULD? Or because you WANT to?
Think about it for a second. Why do you shave your legs? Is it because you like the feel of it? Or is it because, somewhere down the line, it got drilled into your head that hairy legs on women are disgusting and unacceptable?
Why don’t you wear a bra? Is it because you don’t want to, don’t need one, don’t like them? Or is it because you feel like you must throw away all trappings of the patriarchy otherwise your feminist sisters will disown you even though you really sort of miss having boob support?
How many of us perform beauty rituals of some sort that we loathe simply because we think we’re supposed to otherwise we aren’t a “real” woman/feminist/lesbian/whatever identity you identify as?
Do not judge anyone else on how they treat their body. Your thing may not be their thing. Your motivations may not be their motivations. Just because I do or do not do something doesn’t make me any better than you. Or worse.
I don’t want you to be like me. I want you to be like you. Do what makes you you. Look how you look. Be who you are.
36 Notes/ Hide
- karyllsaid reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- karyllsaid likes this
- heavenhelppthem likes this
- ratsandcandy666 likes this
- writeoutoflove reblogged this from bookishfeminist and added:
- tooyoungforthelivingdead likes this
- bookishfeminist reblogged this from feministthought
- blue-skies-are-coming likes this
- fierybitchwitch likes this
- fuckyealiz likes this
- sevenpoints likes this
- saffronsugar reblogged this from king-xemnas
- deiiu likes this
- king-xemnas reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- zoezoloft reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- realizethesky likes this
- qtsblackhawk reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- feministthought reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- interndana reblogged this from hipsteranonymous
- hipsteranonymous posted this